About Application of LECA in Filling and Filtering
Application of LECA in Filling and Filtering
Lightweight aggregate fills are approximately half the weight of common fills. This advantage, coupled with its predictable high internal friction angle, can also reduce lateral forces by more than one-half. It has been effectively used to solve numerous geotechnical engineering problems and to convert unstable soft soil into usable land. Lightweight fill also provides permanent non-degradable insulation around water lines and steam lines, and other thermally sensitive elements. Expanded clay lightweight aggregate, ESCS, is a reliable and economical geotechnical solution.
LECA is lightweight filling material which can solve many problems simultaneously, providing simple solutions to a wealth of civil engineering challenges.
- Reduces gravity loads: in case of soils with low bearing capacity, that will have non acceptable settlements, it is possible to realize imposed or dead loads such as roads or building, in addition it can control water level and drainage the surface and ground water.
- Reduces lateral forces: when used against retaining walls, LECA will reduce the weight acting on the rear of the structure by at least 75%, in comparison to traditional fill materials. This reduction in weight avoids potential sliding, overturning, slip and tilting or bearing failures and enables savings by increasing spacing between buttressing walls and reducing structural dimensions.
- Provides high internal friction angle
- Controlled grading, free draining and water insoluble
- Acid insoluble and chemically inert
- Stability, it can reduced risk of landslide and deformation of soils, also it is very useful in road and rail beds or pipelines which can control settlement and water insulation (rain or water overflow )
- Compaction, when properly compacted, the compaction degree will be approximately 10-12 %
- High insulation value, high strength and durability
02060 - Aggregate
02315 - Excavation and Fill
02600 - Drainage and Containment
13220 - Filter Underdrains and Media
31 05 16 - Aggregates for Earthwork
31 23 00 - Excavation and Fill
31 23 16 - Excavation
31 23 16.13 - Trenching
31 23 23 - Fill
31 23 23.13 - Backfill
31 23 23.23 - Compaction
32 05 16 - Aggregates for Exterior Improvements
33 40 00 - Storm Drainage Utilities
46 61 21 - Pressure Filters
46 61 23 - Gravity Filters
46 61 26 - High-rate Sand Filters
46 61 29 - Traveling Bridge Filters
46 61 41 - Disc Cloth Filters
Categories: Leca, Lightweight filling material, aggregates, geotechnical solution, soil stability, reduction soil overturning or failure, improve soil bearing.