Silicon Technology Helps Drive Green Building Revolution.
To support the growing demand of designing and constructing innovative, high-performance and sustainable structures, Dow Corning is strengthening its suite of construction solutions and services for building professionals.
“We understand that constructing an energy-efficient green building is not an easy task; it requires the collaborative efforts of the design and construction industries,” says Saulo Rozendo, Global Strategic Marketer, Construction Industry, Dow Corning. “For more than 40 years, architects and building designers have relied on Dow Corning’s silicone products for sustainable, long lasting building materials solutions.”
Dow Corning silicon-based sealants, coatings, water repellents and concrete admixtures are designed to protect, strengthen, and preserve building materials in new construction and renovation projects. For example, in construction, silicone sealants have a life expectancy that is typically three times longer than organic sealants used in the same applications. They are waterproof, remain flexible and resist the effects of ultraviolet (UV) light and common temperature extremes.
Use of Dow Corning silicone products can contribute to building performance improvements such as:
- Sealants for structural glazing and weatherproofing applications to increase energy performance and extend building life;
- Water repellents to help reduce damage to materials from water penetration, minimizing the needed for structural repairs;
- Concrete admixtures used for pretreatment of substrates help to reduce thermal conductivity and evaporation of water in materials, two leading causes of structural heat loss.
In addition, when used in combination with other construction materials, use of Dow Corning silicones can contribute to earning LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) credits as administered by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Dow Corning also provides industry professionals with product information, technical expertise, design tools and other resources to create total building system solutions based on decades of construction industry expertise, technical service, support resources, and customized construction services.
Dow Corning offers:
- Information regarding using silicone to achieve LEED credits;
- Online construction calculators for project management and products usage;
- Downloadable product selection guides, data sheets, application tutorials/seminars and technology developments;
- Blueprint evaluations to ensure proposed applications meet Dow Corning’s joint standards for warrantable performance;
- Videos demonstrating how silicone technology contributes to sustainable buildings; and,
- Online order entry and sample requests.
“The versatility and diversity of our silicon-based materials can be incorporated into every aspect of a building to achieve today’s green buildings,” says Rozendo. “Developing sustainable buildings requires many elements working together to create a world-class structure.”
Dow Corning has applied its green building and energy efficiency solutions in the construction of several iconic landmarks in the UAE such as Burj Al Arab, Burj Khalifa and Capital Gate. These developments, which display unmatched design, are also aligned with Dow Corning’s principles of protecting the environment and ensuring sustainability.